Sunday, December 28, 2008

Random thoughts

I've been thinking about all of the mistakes I have made as I have meandered through this thing they call motherhood. A LOT and I do mean A LOT!
One mistake I have not made was not loving my children enough. There isn't a mother on the face of this earth that has loved her children more than me. I know it.
One of the things that I have done, plagues many of us. That is mistaking over-protecting for love.
In my current avocation, I am fortunate to be an observer of college students who are just leaving home. I manage a college bookstore and it is very, very interesting. How so?

Mommy brings in "little Johnny" into the bookstore to buy his books. After all, she did register him and choose his classes, because at 18 he is still incapable of making those kinds of decisions. Doesn't SHE know what's best? (Of course, this conversation is only going on in my head...) So, little 6'2" Johnny follows her around silently, thinking this is what all the mothers do. She has his course list and finds his books, chooses them, carries them and answers any questions directed at him. She sets them on the counter, pays for them and asks me if there is enough money available on his account for him to get the extras....or should she put more on...would I call if he needs more? Oh! and Johnny needs some software.... I turn to Johnny and say, "what kind of software do you need?" Mommy gives me the answer... I look at Johnny again and ask "what kind of computer do you have?" And as his capable but surprised-to-be-asked-a-question mouth is open ready to answer... I get the reply from Supermommy! The crazy thing is, that Johnny doesn't even look annoyed. Really... I am not exaggerating! I have experienced this more than once.
I suppose I haven't gone this far.... my kids would not have allowed it. But when they were little, how many times did I prevent them from doing things because 'they might get hurt?' How many times did I accompany them to a place where they could have gone themselves? Why didn't I teach them to use the knives to cut up tomatoes sooner? If I drive them everywhere, how will they know how to travel...take the bus...the plane?
They are almost grown now... am I still hovering? ....or am I letting them use the wings I gave them?
...just some thoughts...

No comments: