Saturday, February 27, 2010

Why reunification?

"...but of course, reunification is always the goal."

I have heard this said so very many times and wonder why reunification is always the goal.... ?? Why would it be the goal to reunify children with their drug addicted, abusive parents? Because of blood?

You tell that to my daughters who we got when they were 7 and 9 and already damaged beyond complete repair. They will always carry scars and baggage because some system thought it was a good idea to continue to try to reunify them with parents who kept making the decision that drugs and money were more important than these precious lives.

If 'the system' would have seen the importance of their wholeness, they would not have to go through their lives with the many and varied problems they have.

Each time I hear someone say this I wonder why... and I wonder what kind of life they could have had if we had been allowed to adopt them younger.

1 comment:

Ann Jeanette Starks said...

I so agree with you. We are so conserned with the rights of the parents, that we forget that children deserve to have rights too. The right to have a normal, happy childhood so they can develop and grow into healthy, productive adults. I don't know your story, but your daughters are so lucky to have you. I have 2 of my grandchildren, the 7 year old we've had since he was 6 months old. We were very lucky that my daughter did the right thing and gave a us permanent custody. Otherwise, I don't know what he would have gone through. My youngest I tried to get for 2 years (he's 4 now) and only because she was arrested do I have him. I still have the fear that his father will ask for him back and he will have to go through the same crap he is finally healing from. I wish the best for you.